Google’s flagship line of smartphones at all times shines from a technical and significant standpoint, and whilst it simplest holds a small marketplace percentage within the smartphone area, Google nonetheless takes numerous pleasure in its ever-improving line of Pixel units.
The Google Pixel four was once an outstanding telephone with some state-of-the-art instrument options, but it surely was once badly let down through restricted battery existence. The Google Pixel four XL gives a little bit extra stamina, but it surely doesn’t remaining so long as we’d like, both. However battery existence isn’t the one factor that homeowners of either one of those telephones have encountered. We’ve bumped up in opposition to a couple of different Pixel four issues and exposed one of the vital maximum commonly-reported problems from lend a hand boards. We’re no longer simply right here to bitch, regardless that — we’re additionally going to give an explanation for learn how to paintings round those problems or repair them when conceivable.
No matter your drawback, the very first thing to take a look at is a instrument replace. Be sure to’re hooked up to Wi-Fi and take a snappy glance in Settings > Device > Complicated > Device Replace, then faucet Test for Replace and set up any replace that’s to be had. Google introduced the latest safety replace in September and incessantly makes updates to the protection in their cellular units.
Downside: Battery bloat reasons wi-fi charging problems
Whilst it’s nonetheless unclear how popular an issue that is, and there was no professional phrase from Google at the factor, some Pixel three and four homeowners have reported problems with battery bloat. It’s no longer ordinary for batteries on telephones to swell — it’s in fact a just right factor, because it prevents them from catching fireplace and exploding. On the other hand, it’s no longer what you’d most often be expecting from a fairly new battery and software. The problem turns out to have began with Pixel three and three XL homeowners reporting swollen batteries and problems with wi-fi charging on Google’s boards, adopted through Pixel four XL homeowners reporting wi-fi charging problems on Reddit and battery swelling problems on Google’s boards. That is surely one thing to keep in mind in the event you’re taking into account selecting up a Pixel telephone.
- When you realize your telephone battery swelling or enjoy any problems with wi-fi charging and your Pixel four or Pixel four XL appears to be getting sizzling, it may well be value contacting Google make stronger to look in the event that they’ll be offering a unfastened battery substitute or restore. This will likely rely on whether or not your software continues to be underneath guaranty.
Downside: Battery existence is deficient
Let’s simply take on it right away: The battery existence at the Pixel four and Pixel four XL is disappointing. There’s no actual repair for this, unfortunately. Google must have put larger batteries in either one of those telephones. However there are many techniques to make residing with it much less of a topic. We don’t recommend you do all of this stuff, however switching off the issues that you simply don’t worth can spice up that battery so much.
However consider accessorizing first: We’re no longer inquisitive about having to compromise, and we don’t love to nerf capability, so sooner than you learn on, imagine purchasing a just right moveable charger, a quick charger, and a wi-fi charging pad for the table and nightstand to stay your Pixel four crowned up.
- The Pixel four must do a just right activity limiting apps you don’t use a lot, due to Adaptive Battery — you’ll take a look at it’s on by the use of Settings > Battery > Adaptive Battery — however don’t forestall there. Cross one higher and evaluation the total checklist of apps and video games to your telephone, after which uninstall any that you simply don’t want.
- It’s a good suggestion to check app permissions every so often for safety causes, however there may also be battery advantages too. Cross to Settings > Apps & Notifications > Complicated > Permission Supervisor and revoke any permissions that you simply don’t assume the apps truly want. Pay particular consideration to Location and cut back the collection of apps which can be Allowed All of the Time.
- Whilst Google’s new air gestures can turn out to hand, they surely affect battery existence for the reason that Pixel four is vigilant for motion within reach. When you’re no longer enamored of them anyway, head into Settings > Device > Movement Sense and toggle it off.
- Activate Darkish mode — it’s each cool and a battery saver. Simply faucet on Darkish Theme by the use of Settings > Show. For the reason that Pixel four has an OLED display the place pixels are lit personally, it received’t drain the battery as rapid when maximum of them don’t seem to be lit — darkish backgrounds require much less energy.
- The 90Hz refresh charge is one among our favourite issues concerning the Pixel four, however there’s definitely it takes a heavy toll to your battery. Cross to Settings > Show > Complicated > Clean Show, and you’ll toggle it off.
- Tweak extra show settings. There are 3 issues that may lend a hand that we haven’t coated but, and all are available by the use of Settings > Show. First, cut back Display screen Timeout so far as you’ll stand, then in Lock Display screen Show, make certain All the time on is toggled off. After all, in Types and Wallpapers, select a wallpaper this is static and most commonly darkish.
- Activate Battery Saver. You’ll do that by the use of the notification color or through going to Settings > Battery > Battery Saver. It is going to prohibit background updates, kill some visible results, forestall location accumulating and different background app actions, forestall listening for, “OK, Google,” and activate Darkish Theme. You most likely don’t need this on always, however faucet on Set a Agenda, and also you’ll in finding the way to mechanically cause it at a definite battery share or in response to your day by day regimen. The “day by day regimen” possibility components in whilst you most often price up your Pixel four, and it comes to a decision when it must activate to make certain that you’ll make it there with out operating out of energy.
- You’ll in finding a couple of extra concepts in our normal smartphone battery pointers.
Annoyance: Chrome freezing when observing video
A thread on Google’s make stronger boards suggests some Pixel three, four, and four XL homeowners have reported problems with Google Chrome freezing when observing video — a topic that turns out to proper itself through locking and unlocking the telephone, and even restarting the software — no longer a super resolution. It looks as if this has been an ongoing drawback for months, however thankfully, the replace to Android 11 turns out to have mounted the problem for the general public.
- When you’re experiencing this drawback, your first transfer must be updating your instrument, which is able to with a bit of luck get to the bottom of issues.
Worm: Display screen consideration no longer operating
A thread at the Google person boards mentions the display consideration function isn’t operating correctly, and that rebooting and toggling the function on and off makes no distinction. This appears to be an on-again-off-again drawback, with many Pixel four homeowners reporting an replace mounted the malicious program, just for it to reoccur. Optimistically, Google will get a hold of an enduring repair quickly, however within the interim, in the event you’re experiencing this, there are a few issues value making an attempt.
- It’s been steered the display consideration function doesn’t paintings smartly underneath two mins of display time-out. Whilst the function must paintings smartly without reference to the time-out, you have to check out environment your display time-out to over two mins to look if this resolves issues.
- That you must additionally check out booting your telephone in protected mode to establish whether or not it’s a third-party app inflicting the issue — if display consideration works in protected mode, then you definitely’ll want to take a look at and determine which app is the perpetrator. If it nonetheless doesn’t paintings in protected mode, then the working machine or remaining instrument replace might be at fault. You’ll file the malicious program to Google to your software by the use of Settings > Guidelines and Reinforce > Ship Comments or respond to a thread within the boards.
- As at all times, make sure your instrument is up to the moment, as updating would possibly get to the bottom of the issue.
Downside: The digital camera app crashes
A long thread at the Google Discussion board unearths loads of customers complaining that the digital camera app crashes. Other folks be aware that uninstalling and reinstalling doesn’t cope with the problem, leaving them with an overly pricey piece of hardware that may’t appear to perform some of the primary duties set out for it.
Resetting the telephone is a generally steered resolution, and in our enjoy, this addresses maximum issues. That implies erasing your knowledge, then again, so use it as a final hotel. At the discussion board, a number of customers famous that an replace mounted the problem as mysteriously because it arose. As at all times, your first transfer relating to an issue must be to make certain that your instrument is up to the moment.
Fear: Face free up works with eyes closed
At release, we raised our eyebrows over how the Pixel research your eyes. You spot, any individual may grasp your Pixel four as much as your slumbering face to free up it, which turns out like one thing of a safety hollow — no longer a loopy one, however a possible drawback. Thankfully, Google launched an replace that added an possibility so that you can specify that your eyes should be open for face free up to paintings.
When you’re lifeless set in opposition to staying present (by which case, why did you purchase a Pixel?), there are a couple of different issues you’ll do to near the protection hollow:
- Use a PIN, development, or password as an alternative. You’ll set them up in Settings > Safety.
- Lockdown mode permits you to press and grasp the Energy button after which faucet Lockdown to briefly flip off biometrics in the event you’re fearful any individual goes to take a look at and drive you to free up your telephone in opposition to your will. You’ll turn on Lockdown mode by the use of Settings > Show > Complicated > Lock Display screen Show, the place you want to toggle on Display Lockdown possibility. When you use it, your Pixel four will revert to PIN, password, or development free up.
Factor: White stability and coloured lighting
Fortunately, this one is not likely to affect the general public. Consistent with a Reddit submit, which was once picked up through a couple of websites, the Pixel four digital camera has a topic with coloured lighting the place it sort of feels to be seeking to repair a shot with excessive colour and finally ends up turning it into a special, faulty colour. There’s additionally a thread at Google’s make stronger discussion board requesting handbook white stability keep an eye on to be introduced again. There’s no repair for this, however Google would possibly make changes that roll out in long run updates. Heavy emphasis right here on “would possibly” since this has been a topic for months.
- The problem isn’t provide within the RAW symbol recordsdata, so open up the digital camera app and move to the Settings, then faucet Complicated and toggle on RAW+JPEG Regulate. This may occasionally save the RAW record one after the other, and you’ll export it and paintings on it to your PC or use an app like Snapseed to your Pixel four.
Worm: Clicking sounds in video recorded in third-party apps
f you have got spotted an glaring ticking sound in movies you add the use of social media platforms like Instagram or Snapchat to your Pixel four, you’re no longer on my own. There’s a thread on the Google make stronger discussion board and on Reddit. Other folks file a crackling or ticking clock noise after they file movies via an app you downloaded from an app retailer, however the movies they file with the Pixel four pre-installed cameras haven’t any such noises. We all know that this is a drawback for a significant portion of Pixel four customers as a result of the boards stoning up, however sadly, now we have no longer skilled nor simulated it.
- Simply use the principle digital camera app to file video.
- Be sure to’re up to the moment by the use of Settings > Device > Complicated > Device Replace, then faucet Test for Replace. Open up the Play Retailer app, faucet the 3 Horizontal Traces on the most sensible left, then faucet My Apps & Video games > Replace All.
Downside: Movement Sense doesn’t paintings
It may be difficult to get the hold of Movement Sense gestures. Nonetheless, in the event you’re having over the top problems, you may well be experiencing one of the vital issues reported through different customers, as mentioned within the XDA Builders discussion board. It’s additionally essential to notice that Movement Sense doesn’t paintings in all places — it’s these days simplest to be had within the U.S., Canada, Singapore, Australia, Taiwan, and maximum of Europe.
- Get started through going to Settings > Device > Movement Sense and be sure that it’s toggled on. You’ll faucet at the person choices right here to look an animation that presentations exactly what gesture to make use of. Assuming it’s already on, toggle it on and off back, then retry.
- To reboot your Pixel four or four XL, merely press and grasp down the Energy button after which make a choice Restart.
- In case you have a case or a display protector to your software, we suggest getting rid of it to restrict bodily obstructions; As soon as it’s off, check the gestures back.
Annoyance: Clean show isn’t on always
Many dependable Google customers expressed some vital frustration after they discovered the sudden information that Pixel four and four XL units are no longer continuously using the 90Hz refresh charge. Usually, the upper refresh charge is enacted when a display’s brightness stage reaches no less than 75%— the function is designed like this to lend a hand preserve your software’s battery existence. Google is conscious about shoppers’ frustrations and has launched a number of statements relating to a conceivable resolution. The corporate says an upcoming replace will spice up the refresh charge for quite a lot of brightness settings.
- Till a brand new instrument patch launches or further brightness choices are shared, the issue received’t be mounted totally. There’s a workaround you’ll attempt to keep away from the problem, regardless that, through solving your Pixel four show to perform at 90Hz always. Cross to Settings > About Telephone, after which faucet the Construct Quantity on the backside of the display seven occasions to free up new Developer choices. Then, you’ll must backpedal a little bit. Return to Settings > Device > Developer Choices. At the checklist, you must see an possibility for Clean Show. Make a choice it, and turn the toggle directly to allow everlasting 90Hz. We do need to alert you— this selection will wipe out your Pixel’s battery beautiful briefly.