Fit of the Day host Gary Lineker has agreed a £400,000 pay reduce, the BBC has printed because it publishes its newest record of best-paid presenters.
The chart displays Lineker because the highest-earning famous person with an unchanged wage of £1.75m within the final monetary yr.
However he has since signed a brand new contract, which can see that rate reduce via 23%.
That implies he may just earn lower than Zoe Ball subsequent yr. The Radio 2 presenter has noticed her pay upward thrust via £1m since taking on the breakfast display in 2019.
Fiona Bruce and Lauren Laverne have additionally moved into the highest 10 of the BBC’s highest-paid stars, which options 4 ladies for the primary time. Vanessa Feltz could also be a few of the best earners, the company’s annual document displays.
Lineker’s new wage can be printed on subsequent yr’s record. Director normal Tim Davie advised journalists: “Gary Lineker has signed as much as a brand new five-year contract saving 1 / 4 over his final contract.”
Mr Davie described the previous England participant as an excellent broadcaster and stated his new deal was once an ideal instance of the “ideally suited ability and the most productive worth”.
“And ahead of you ask, Gary is aware of his duty to the BBC with regards to his use of social media,” Mr Davie added, regarding social media laws for BBC team of workers and presenters which can be anticipated to be introduced quickly.
Lineker, a prolific tweeter who steadily discusses his political affairs on-line, despatched a message to “the haters” on Twitter.
- BBC famous person salaries: Who earns what?
General, the BBC’s overall wage invoice for on-air ability in 2019/20 rose via £1m to £144.6m. The highest 10 earners are nonetheless all white.
Some stars do not seem at the wage record for the reason that BBC’s industrial arm, BBC Studios, which makes many common displays, does not need to divulge its charges.
Because of this, the celebrities of one of the BBC’s greatest programmes – like Most sensible Tools and Physician Who – are absent from the record.
Ball’s pay has risen even supposing her Strictly spin-off display It Takes Two is made via BBC Studios and isn’t incorporated.
Most sensible 10 salaries
- 1. Gary Lineker – £1,750,000-£1,754,999 (Fit of the Day, Premier League and FA Cup, Sports activities Persona of the Yr)
- 2. Zoe Ball – £1,360,000-£1,364,999 (Radio 2’s Zoe Ball Breakfast Display)
- three. Graham Norton – £725,000-£729,000 (Weekly display on Radio 2, a variety of programmes and sequence, Bafta movie and TV awards)
- four. Steve Wright – £475,000-£479,999 (Radio 2’s Steve Wright within the Afternoon, Steve Wright’s Sunday Love Songs)
- five. Huw Edwards – £465,000-£469,999 (Information at Six and Information at Ten, presenting on BBC One and the Information Channel, election night time and information specials)
- 6. Fiona Bruce – £450,000-£454,999 (Query Time and presenting on BBC One)
- 7. Vanessa Feltz – £405,000-£409,999 (Radio 2 early Breakfast Display, Radio London Breakfast Display, Radio 2 duvet)
- eight. Lauren Laverne – £395,000-£399,999 (BBC 6 Track Breakfast Display, 6 Track Recommends, Radio four’s Barren region Island Discs, Mercury Track Prize)
- =nine. Alan Shearer – £390,000-£394,999 (Fit of the Day: Premier League and FA Cup)
- =nine. Stephen Nolan – £390,000-£394,999 (The Nolan Display on Radio Ulster, Nolan Survive BBC One (Northern Eire), The Stephen Nolan Display on five Are living)
- 10. Ken Bruce – £385,000-£389,999 (Radio 2’s Mid Morning Display, Eurovision Tune Contest, Radio 2 Are living in Hyde Park)
Ultimate yr, the record incorporated 3 ladies – Ball, Winkleman and Feltz.
The whole gender pay hole on the BBC has fallen from 6.7% to six.2%. Earlier director normal Tony Corridor had pledged to near the gender pay hole via 2020.
Mr Davie stated that “was once an excessively competitive goal,” including, “we will be pleased with our development however we will have to move additional”.
However he stated he sought after to extend the choice of ladies throughout management ranks, the place the determine lately stands at 45%.
“It is concerning the leaders, now not communicate however motion.”
This annual document comprises a number of complicated messages, however is most probably nonetheless to result in easy and detrimental headlines for the BBC.
The record of salaries for on-air broadcasters – which incorporates me – displays 3 years of reforms.
As a part of the ones reforms, many broadcasters – in particular however now not completely males – both took important pay cuts (Huw Edwards, Jeremy Vine and so on) or left the BBC (Chris Evans, John Humphrys, Eddie Mair).
Now, a number of broadcasters – in particular however now not completely ladies – have had pay rises.
Crucially, the pay rises for those feminine broadcasters (Zoe Ball, Fiona Bruce, Lauren Laverne, Emily Maitlis), replicate further paintings.
The whole upward thrust in pay for the ones whose salaries are printed – round £1m – isn’t, in monetary phrases, large, given the choice of folks to which it pertains, and the salaries themselves.
Nonetheless, the optics are dangerous for the BBC. Complexity does not reduce via in tales about top pay.
The easy reality is, in a time of immense hardship around the nation, with such a lot of folks redundant or furloughed and struggling, those large salaries (and their modest general building up) will strike many licence rate payers as disgraceful.
The opposite large tale is the BBC’s funds. Within the medium-term, they’re badly strained. It’s placing that via the top of subsequent yr, the BBC can have delivered round £800m in financial savings in simply 5 years.
However the truth that the licence rate did not upward thrust with inflation between 2010 and 2017, and the £125m hit (no less than) from the coronavirus pandemic, are an enormous harm to the base line for the approaching yr.
And that is the reason ahead of you even imagine whether or not a technology who give such a lot time to TikTok, YouTube and WhatsApp really feel they wish to pay for a TV licence.