When you’ve bought a BlackBerry Daring smartphone on eBay just lately, it could be to Kim Kardashian. “They don’t also have them in shops anymore. I purchase them on eBay,” she advised a convention previous this week, explaining her love for the venerable keyboard telephone.
No surprise she hasn’t unboxed her new BlackBerry Passport smartphone but. However Kardashian isn’t on my own in sticking to the Daring-era software, and the corporate is definitely conscious about that pattern. Right here’s CEO John Chen, running a blog the day past in regards to the subsequent new BlackBerry smartphone.
It’s tempting in a unexpectedly converting, unexpectedly rising cell marketplace to modify for the sake of trade – to imitate what’s stylish and fit the industry-standard, kitchen-sink means of looking to be all issues to all folks.
However there’s additionally one thing to be stated for the vintage adage, if it ain’t broke don’t repair it.
BlackBerry Vintage displays that. It’s vintage BlackBerry – entire with a best row of navigation keys and a trackpad. It’s the software that has all the time felt proper for your palms and all the time felt proper for your busy day.
Sure, the BlackBerry Vintage objectives to tempt BlackBerry loyalists clear of eBay and in opposition to a brand spanking new handset. Is the corporate onto one thing right here? And is there a much wider alternative being neglected through Android smartphone makers, if there are nonetheless folks available in the market yearning bodily QWERTY keyboards on their gadgets?
Additionally at the radar these days:
- Movie director James Cameron isn’t bought on Oculus Rift and VR headsets but. “There appears to be a large number of pleasure round one thing this is… a yawn to me,” he advised the WSJD convention. “You wish to have to transport thru a digital truth? It’s referred to as online game.”
- The CEO of Cambrian Genomics sounds slightly like a sci-fi supervillain. “We need to make the whole lot this is alive on this planet… We need to make utterly new organisms that experience by no means existed, and substitute each present organism with a greater one.”
- Messaging app WhatsApp received’t be introducing voice calling till 2015, consistent with CEO Jan Koum. “He famous that WhatsApp is operating thru a number of technical problems associated with the release, together with the truth that the app does now not have get admission to to sure telephone microphones, which makes noise cancellation tougher.”
- Apple is exploring the prospective to promote iPhones in Iran, claims the Wall Boulevard Magazine. “Within the conversations, the Cupertino, Calif., corporate explored the potential for having Iranian companions promote Apple merchandise at so-called top class resellers.”
- Startup MegaBots has raised $1.8m to construct what Engadget describes as “15-foot-tall, 15,000-pound piloted robots” who’ll fight one any other with “high-powered paint weapons” for our amusement. This without a doubt received’t finish smartly for humanity.
What do you’re making of those tales, and what else within the tech international is fascinating you these days? The feedback segment is open on your perspectives.