Uruguay has rejected a request for asylum by way of Peru’s former president, Alan García.
Mr García entered the place of abode of the Uruguayan ambassador in Lima on 17 November after he used to be accused of taking bribes from Brazilian development massive Odebrecht, which he denies.
He has been staying there whilst Uruguay weighed his request.
Uruguay mentioned there have been no grounds for asylum as “the 3 branches of the state serve as freely” in Peru.
The announcement used to be made by way of Uruguay’s President Tabaré Vásquez, who rejected Mr García’s argument that he used to be the sufferer of political persecution.
The Peruvian overseas minister, Néstor Popolizio, advised native media Mr García had left the Uruguayan place of abode. It’s not transparent the place he these days is.
A courtroom banned him from leaving Peru closing month.
Mr García served two phrases as president, from 1985 to 1990 and from 2006 to 2011. Investigators allege he took kickbacks from Odebrecht all through his 2d time period in place of work.
- ‘The most important overseas bribery case in historical past’
- Odebrecht’s internet of corruption
The allegations are connected to the development of a metro line within the capital, Lima.
Odebrecht has admitted paying virtually $30m (£23.6m) in bribes in Peru since 2004 and is alleged to be on the subject of attaining a proper plea deal.
Mr García is the most recent former Peruvian chief to develop into embroiled in a corruption scandal.
The 4 most up-to-date Peruvian presidents are all being investigated for alleged corruption, with a 5th – Alberto Fujimori – having been jailed for corruption and human rights abuses.
- Pedro Pablo Kuczynski, in place of work 2016-2018, resigned over a vote-buying scandal, below initial investigation for alleged cash laundering
- Ollanta Humala, in place of work 2011-2016, accused of taking bribes from Odebrecht to bankroll his election marketing campaign, in pre-trial detention in Peru
- Alan García, in place of work 2006-2011, suspected of taking kickbacks from Odebrecht, sought asylum within the Uruguayan place of abode however had his request denied
- Alejandro Toledo, in place of work 2001-2006, accused of taking tens of millions of bucks in bribes from Odebrecht, these days a fugitive in america
The present chief of the opposition, Keiko Fujimori, could also be in pre-trial detention on fees of taking $1.2m (£940,000) in bribes from Odebrecht.
In keeping with an opinion ballot carried out by way of pollsters Datum, Peruvians are extra uninterested than ever with endemic corruption.
In October, 94% mentioned they concept the extent of corruption used to be both top or very top.
President Martín Vizcarra, who took up place of work after Mr Kuczynski resigned, has mentioned he’ll make the combat in opposition to corruption his precedence.
On Sunday, Peruvians shall be referred to as to vote in a referendum on 5 key reforms aimed toward cleansing up Peruvian politics.