The present technology of video games consoles looks like a fairly open fight: Sony’s PlayStation four is seemed to have had the brink over Microsoft’s Xbox One thus far, however newest figures from the latter recommend the race is a ways from gained.
“As we head into the busy vacation season Xbox One led technology eight console gross sales in the USA for the previous two weeks,” wrote Microsoft’s company vp of gadgets and studios, Yusuf Mehdi, the day past. “In a while, we will be able to have offered in to outlets greater than 10 million Xbox One consoles.”
To be transparent, the primary sentence pertains to the USA most effective, however the latter is world shipments. The releases of Halo: the Grasp Leader Assortment and Sundown Overdrive have introduced some bona-fide buzz to Xbox One at precisely the correct time, forward of the holiday-shopping season.
PlayStation four hit 10m gross sales in August, even if that’s gross sales moderately than shipments to outlets (which is the Xbox One determine). So Sony stays forward, however Microsoft is no less than gaining floor. How do you notice this fight spinning out in the long run, although?
In case you’re a gamer and feature selected one (or each) of those consoles, how glad are you along with your selection, and what do you want to peer Sony or Microsoft do within the subsequent couple of years to take it ahead? Let’s now not omit Nintendo: is the Wii U discovering its area of interest within the present console marketplace?
In case you’re now not a gamer, are any of those gadgets interesting to you of their different guise – as house leisure programs – or are you much more likely to have a field powered by way of Apple, Google, Amazon or different tech companies sitting underneath your TV? The feedback segment is open in your ideas.
Additionally at the era radar this morning:
- Twitter has opened up about some of the changes it’s making plans to make within the coming months: the power to file, edit and proportion movies natively on Twitter; higher techniques to turn customers what they’ve neglected after they log again in, and “an immediate, personalized timeline for brand new customers who don’t wish to spend time cultivating one on their very own”.
- There’s a brand new spherical within the row between Taylor Swift and streaming carrier Spotify: her label says it’s been paid “not up to $500,000” for US streams of her songs within the final yr, whilst Spotify counters that it’s paid her label and publishers $2m globally in that length. “We paid Taylor’s label and writer more or less part 1,000,000 bucks within the month prior to she took her catalogue down…”
- Extra large information from Microsoft: plans to open up its .NET and Visible Studio to extra builders, together with open sourcing the entire server-side .NET Core stack, and increasing it to run on Linux and Mac OS X in addition to Home windows. The imaginative and prescient: to succeed in builders “whether or not you’re a startup, a scholar, a hobbyist, an open supply developer or a business developer, and regardless of the platform you’re focused on or the app you’re growing”.
- Just right information for players: “Enjoying motion video video games considerably improves efficiency in a variety of attentional, perceptual, and cognitive duties”. Name of Responsibility is excellent in your mind! Even though I will be able to unfortunately document that having kids that don’t sleep neatly considerably reduces your efficiency at motion video games. And, to be fair, the entire gamut of attentional, perceptual, and cognitive duties…
- Samsung’s Oculus Rift-powered Tools VR will pass on sale in the USA in December for $249 with a Bluetooth joypad bundled in, or $199 standalone. Are you desirous about strapping a phablet for your face and exploring digital worlds?
- However whilst we’re on Samsung, boo hiss to the corporate for making its startling corporate-diversity rap video personal, after it used to be reported by way of tech websites. “Samsung, we 280,000 people, 40% 112,000 girls, you don’t have to fret after giving beginning…” I think it’ll be returning in a couple of mashups imminently.
What else? The feedback segment is open in your ideas at the above, and different hyperlinks you’ve noticed as of late.